Re: Dinosaur TV Week

n a message dated 3/30/99 8:03:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, th81@umail.umd.edu
writes:

>  >The "Shrine"?  Hell, that's Nelly's Nipple.

AHHHHHHH. Memories....

While we are on the subject, Ii had the privilege to actually visit the
"shrine" on my Montana dig with Rich Cifelli's team last summer (and likely
this summer too). In fact, we had camped just above it in the pines you saw in
the background. It's absolutely beautiful up there! While hiking in the area
of the shrine, I did intact see some disarticulated tenonto verts and turtle
stuff. I then climbed as high onto the shrine and paid my respects to _HIM_  .

Coincidentally, Cifelli's crew works cooperatively with  Des Maxwell
(Occasional list member) out there and Rich's screen washing operation was set
up right next to Des's camp sight towards the end of my stay. On the last day
of my visit, while helping out with the screen washing, Scot Madsen took a
hike around the bend and came back just as I was hopping in the truck to go to
the airport, showed me a _Deinonuchus_ claw. Up to that point, all we found
then were teeth so I did see my quarry!

>  Yep.  Funny how that name got left out...
>
>  >I think they should have had Tom and the plastic dinos in stop-motion
>  >photography.

  It was good to see our foremost theropod guru getting some TV time!
I was thinking of _Claymation_ with the victim Tenonto looking like "Mr. Bill"
from the old Saturday Night Live show saying "Oh Noooooooooooooooo"!     :-)

It was also great to see Jim Kirkland's mug again as well. Thanks to he, I was
similarly privileged to accompany him, Luis Chiappe, Tracy Ford (my roommate
and driving companna!), Luis Rey and lovely wife and many other eminent
scholars to SEE the Utahraptor site and material! Another memorable and
educational experience!

(Thanks guys!)

Cheers!

Thomas R. Lipka