Re: Deinonychus femur bend.

Original message from Caleb Lewis <terminator2029@usa.net>
Date: 29 Mar 99 18:56:42 MST

>Gang,
>
>   Hi! I was looking at a diagram of a Deinonychus skeleton shortly before
>trying to memorize the various skull bones, and noticed that the femur has
>curve toward the head, why is this and what purpose did it serve?

Deinonychus had to bend its knees round the guts between its legs, whereas
similarish dinos (espec. Troodon) whose pubes pointed forwards could keep
their knees closer together, and have the neck of the femur more at right
angles with the main shaft.  This probably meant more efficient running,
though modern birds had Deino's problem in spades and some are quite good
runners.

John V Jackson      jjackson@interalpha.co.uk

"So many professors . . . so little time . . ."

Dare you visit...
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/2099/DinoKabin.html
Dare you not?