Ornithopod toys [was: Re: Dinosaur TV Week]

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>You know, someone really SHOULD make plastic Tenontosaurus.  Poor
>non-hadrosaurid ornithopods: almost no toys of them.
        Actually, of the hadrosaurs, all I've seen are:
        _Parasaurolophus_       Battat and Carnegie and assorted tiny generics
        _Corythosaurus_         Carnegie
        _Maiasaura_             Battat and Carnegie
        "_Trachodon_"           Every little dinosaur set ever made
                (= _Anatotitan_)

        Of Hadrosauroids:
        _Ouranosaurus_          Battat (in two sizes!, really neat...)

        Of Iguanodontoids/Ankylopollexians/whatevers:
        _Iguanodon_             Carnegie, BMNH, a lot of generic dino toys

        So, while your "higher" Ornithopods do seem to have cornered the
ornithopod market, even they do not have all that great coverage, compared to:

        Sauropodomorphs:
        _Mamenchisaurus_        ?Safari
        _Brachiosaurus_         Carnegie, BMNH
        _Saltasaurus_           Carnegie [excellent toy!]
        _Diplodocus_            Battat, Carnegie, and BMNH
        _Plateosaurus_          Carnegie
        _Apatosaurus_           Carnegie and BMNH

        Theropods:
        _Tyrannosaurus_         Everybody
        _Allosaurus_            Carnegie
        _Ceratosaurus_          Battat
        _Utahraptor_            Battat
        _Deinonychus_           Carnegie
        _Baryonyx_              Carnegie
        _Velociraptor_          Large, not 1/40th
        _Carnotaurus_           Battat, and Carnegie
        _Acrocanthosaurus_      Battat [excellent!]
        _Yangchuanosaurus_      Safari
        _Therizinosaurus_       Safari
        _Deltadromaeus_         Carnegie
        _Gallimimus_            Battat

        But then, look at the rest of the Ornithischia:

        Marginocephalia:
        _Triceratops_           Everybody
        _Styracosaurus_         Battat [excellent!]
        _Pachycephalosaurus_    Battat [excellent!]

        Thyreophora:
        _Edomontonia_           Battat [excellent!]
        _Euplocephalus_         Battat
        _Stegosaurus_           Everybody

Thanks to Rich Kissel for help in compiling this list. Errors are my own.

        So, actually, I ought not to complain. Personally, I just want a
darned _Kritosaurus_ or "_Gryposaurus_", but that's just not flashy enough
to make a toy of, I suppose. Yeah, a _Tenontosaurus_ would be nice. I'd like
to see a little _Heterodontosaurus_ in the same scale as the big Safari
_Velociraptor_. Or, for that matter, a hypsy.
        Well Dr. Holtz, a little bird told me RCI makes a gorgeous plastic
_Tenontosaurus_ for $20,000, but you better have a big living room.

        For Rich's sake, I should point out that it appears that no one
makes a toy _Ophiacodon_. Indeed, I haven't seen any "non-dinky" Permian
stuff myself.

>(I can hear my folks now: "Yale education, and he's still playing with
>plastic dinosaur toys." :-)
        Let's just say you aren't the only one. Well, maybe the rest of us
don't have the Yale pedigree... but some of us have more toys :).

        Now I need to get back to work before my advisor takes a decidely
"Ma & Pa Holtz"ish attitude.
        :)
        Wagner
 "Only those whose life is short can truly believe that love is forever"-Lorien