Re: Big Theropod dug up in South America (ABC Science News Online): Repost

In a message dated 5/1/99 12:00:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bh162@scn.org
writes:
>  Apparently, they bred them big south of the equator!  Go here:
>  http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/dinosaurs990429.html

(From the article, which is taken from Reuters)
>  Largest Meat-Eater Skeleton?
>  New Dinosaur Find in Patagoni

> Big Lizards Scared Off T. rex?
> Giganotosaurus ruled over South America for millions of years, and
> scientists suspect it was the reason the slightly smaller T. rex did not
> stray south.
>    The 90-million-year-old fossils,  <SNIP>

Quick, boys and girls, can anyone give me a better reason?

>    As with past discoveries in Patagonia and in Alberta, Canada, the
>  close grouping of the bones suggests the hunters stalked their prey in
>  packs.
>    ?It?s an accumulation (of bones) out of which eventually we may be
>  able to piece together part of a herd and obtain evidence about
>  behaviour,? said Coria.
The writers of articles such as this need to be more careful about
fanciful interpretation of what the scientist actually said.  Witness the
recent "armored sauropod."

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com