Re: The Last Dinosaur Book

wjtm@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

<< As for the power of the dinosaur image.  You are right that it sometimes
 (but not always) symbolizes the familiar cliches of stupidity, slowness,
 etc.  I think it's important to recognize, though, that there are many other
 meanings (ferocity, world dominance, giantism) that make dinos objects of
 admiration and wonder.  >>

Part of my day job is market segmentation, and I have thought of dinosaurs as
having different images among different groups of people.  If I read you
correctly, I think you are saying that the same people hold contradictory
ideas of dinosaurs simultaneously.    From Jurassic Park, many people can
recognize an alternate view, but it seems they still use dinosaurs as a
valuable symbol (perhaps because non-human and therefore uninsulting) of
certain ideas, particularly obsolescence.
Also, I don't think of figures like Baal or Osiris as totems in the same
sense as the bloody oxhide (to continue the Egyptian comparison).  This is
not to be denigrating, but couldn't some people think of the dinosaur
renaissance as a group effort to re-invigorate the past like the Elvis
following, with the ever-missing principal(s) represented by birds instead of
recordings?
Thanks for a fascinating topic.