Re: Well...long necks

At 09:27 AM 4/30/99 -0700, Chris wrote:
>So am I the only one who has always thought that these long necks were
>for feeding underwater?...

This used to be the predominant idea.  It has been shown to be untenable
through several lines of evidence.

1. Semi-aquatic tetrapods have wide bodies and proportionally larger than
usual feet (like hippos).  Sauropods have narrow bodies, and merely
elephant-sized feet.

2. Statistical analysis of the distribution of sauropod bones in the
Morrison shows they occur in a pattern more like a terrestrial animal
(elephants, for instance) than a pattern like semi-aquatic animals (like
hippos and the extinct aquatic rhino).  [This is based on a comparison with
fossil mammal bones].

3. The Morrison formation turns put to have been a semi-arid habitat, with
few large lakes - and many of the lakes that were there were seasonal.

>Or am I just an amature with strange ideas?

Just out-of-date.