RE: The Last Dinosaur Book/Show

>Anyone who has been involved in shows of science-fiction art would be a
>natural. I don't know if the art museums have done any, but some of the
>best current art is 'art of the fantastic' portraying fantastic or
>science-fictional subjects. Some of the same artists also paint dinosaurs.
>Whatever you think of Dinotopia, it tried to be a blend of the two, and
>that combination helped find it an audience.
>
>-- Jeff Hecht

Jeff, I'm remembering Tom's observation that the "dinosaur" is (in
POPULAR usage) a kind of "folk taxon." Is some of the paleoart "folk
art"? Not an easy term to define, and I don't like the condescending
overtones. Paleo is so sophisticated. It isn't "art brut" or "mass" in
Noel Carroll's familiar sense.

 But I say folk (in the sense that the Mexican American altarista
tradition is folk) because paleo seems not ignorant of high art, but
utterly, wonderfully indifferent to it. Even contemptuous of it--  a
counter tradition. I see some of that (healthy) scorn for "high art" in
George O's last posting. "We're not you, and proud of it!"
Best,
George