Re: Dromeosaurid behavior........Pack hunting! (long)

At 10:46 -0400 5/3/99, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

>Nevertheless, it works.  Sometimes different strategies work in different
>ways, but achieve the same end (survival of that particular lineage).  If
>pack hunting were the best way of hunting, why aren't all felids and canids
>and hyaenids (and monitor lizards and rattlesnakes and hawks and frogs...)
>pack hunters?  Different strokes for different taxa.

Because in order to benefit from pack hunting, you need to share the prey.
And in order to do that, you need teeth that can carve up shared prey.
What's a pack of frogs going to do?  A pack of snakes?

Hypothesis: A species can be ruled out as a pack hunter if it does not have
cutting teeth.

Of course, humpbacks and their bubble nets blow this hypothesis to shreds,
but it may hold for terrestrial hunters.

Laurie Nyveen                                  lawrence@dsuper.net
Editor, Netsurfer Digest - <http://www.netsurf.com/nsd/index.html>
DNRC Minister of Adding "ue" to Words That End in "log"
"All we are, basically, are monkeys with car keys."
                             - Grandma Woody (Northern Exposure)