Re: Rearing up on hind legs (was Re: Parrish's neck work ...)

The question is not just "could they rear up", but also "did they
rear up". We know that circus elephants can do it (or can be MADE to
do it), however such rearing behaviour doesn't seem to be very common
in wild elephants (at least, I can only ever remember seeing footage
of it once, out of many elephant documentaries over the years).

As far as blood pressure problems go, perhaps sauropods had all
sorts of nifty devices for preventing them, just like modern whales
do. They have ways of minimising the effects of pressure changes and
blood deoxygenation. After all, what is the size and weight of
sauropods often compared to? And what does the word Cetiosaurus actually
mean?  :)

And remember, it was only recently that science figured out how
bumble bees could fly. It seems that no-one ever told them it was
supposed to be aerodynamically impossible. And that was with a living
animal to study. I suspect sauropods will always remain an enigma.

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia

        Australian Dinosaurs: