Re: Pack behavior: just a thought ...

I wonder how often modern reptiles injure limbs without necessarily dying
as a result.  As  reptiles don't have a real high metabolism, they may be
able to wait  a few months while a leg heals enough to hunt again.  An
injured dinosaur may have been able to do the same.  It could have lived
on fat stores and depended on no one else while healing.  This might
re-ignite an endo versus exothermic debate.  Similarly, if it were a
scavenger and had access to a sufficient food supply it may have been able
to recuperate as long as it could avoid predators.  I suppose that going
after smaller prey may still have been possible even with a broken leg.
Again, alternate explanations may do an equal job of explaining an
observation.  Even among modern mammalian pack hunters, injuries severe
enough to limit mobility and feeding are usually fatal, so it may be tough
to find enough healed fractures to prove anything, but keep trying.
Frank