Re: Parrish's neck work ...

I wrote:

<<The use of zygapophyses to determine max or min
range of movement is not entirely an ideal model; such
processes do not absolutely limit the movement of the
cervicals, as there can be a limited amount of
dislocation a pair of bones can deal with without
causing undue pain or discomfort. We experience this
ourselves. The animals can, and oft-times will,
stretch their bones to their limits, and sometimes
beyond, to do something they _really_ want to do. What
exactly that is is up to the animal. Usually, as in
giraffes, us, etc. it's for scoping out or feeding.>>

  Michael Bonnan wrote:

<No vertebrate that I have ever seen or dissected
commonly partially dislocates joints in its body. When
a giraffe stretches its neck, it is definitely placing
strains on its zygapophyses, but they do not come
apart! Consider what would happen if you dislocated
one of your cervical vertebrae while stretching.>

[snip]

<I hate to use anecdotes, but to drive the point home,
one of my brothers briefly dislocated his elbow joint
once while cheering at a game. His joint popped back
together, good as new, except it caught his ulnar
nerve (known as the funny bone). Ouch! The doctor had
to dislocate his arm again to free the pinched nerve.
Can you point me toward the reference where you heard
this?>

  Okay, first, for us, we do regularly dislocate,
often painlessly, joints of out body. Not specifically
the neck, considering, as you pointed out, how easy it
was to do serious damage that way; but for limbs,
contortionists, people with low nerve response (or
none) or double-jointed individuals can and do
disjoint parts of themselves, and the circus was the
best place to find them. Of this I have _lots_ of
data, no cold hard facts, just having watched it
occur, had it occur to me (have dislocated my right
patella twice and the left once, all but the first
painlessly [damn hard to walk right for a while,
though]), and read popular and newspaper articles on
this.

  However, for the giraffes, while the position of
"scoping out or feeding" does not precisely fit,
giraffe's, while necking, will dislocated a cervical
or two, and live to neck again. In zoos (yeah, human
intervention, I know) the keepers will relocate more
easily than the giraffes will, and the source for this
is, if memory serves, a _Discover_ article, or
_Science_. I may have the facts wrong, though, and I
admit that it's a possiblility these animals do not
_fully_ disarticulate the cervicals. I've tried
scroungin the ref up at the local lib, and the
magazine server (the article's about a year old) was
down. Gotta hunt through the hard copy or wait till
it's up.

  Needless to say, I'll use only humans as an example,
leaving giraffes, "homologues" they may possibly be,
and find that ref, should it in fact contain the data
I recall.

  Thanks,

===
- Greek proverb: "Knowledge is Inherent;
  Stupidity is Learned." -

Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the we---is temporarily out of service.
Please check back when the phone lines are not busy.