NON-ORNITHOPOD AGILISAURUS

Pete Buchholz must once again be celebrating the existence of dino-l.
Perhaps. 'jconrad' wrote..

> _Agilisaurus_ appears much too derived to be a sister taxon
> to_Lesothosaurus_.

Some of you will be aware that Paul Barrett got to personally
examine the _Agilisaurus_ material during his recent Dinosaur
Society funded expedition to China (there were several reports on
what Paul (and Paul Upchurch) saw in _The Dinosaur Report_: this is
where you will see the first ever photo and mention of _Shanxia_).
Paul says that _Agilisaurus_, though conventionally regarded as a
hypsilophodont, is apparently too primitive to belong amongst higher
ornithopods and, in a paper he is co-authoring with David Norman,
will show that _Agilisaurus_ belongs closer to the ornithischian
stem.

We should expect a major revision in our understanding of small
so-called ornithopods over the next decade. I am wondering when
someone will show that marginocephalians fall into a late Jurassic
clade of euornithopods:) Unless their precursors really are the
heterodontosaurs.

"Rats make direct attacks on about 14, 000 persons annually in the
United States, and occasionally inflict mortal wounds".

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk