Re: IMPLICATIONS OF TOOTH WEAR

        <mlb194@liverpool.ac.uk>, <darren.naish@port.ac.uk>
>Subject: Re: IMPLICATIONS OF TOOTH WEAR

>2. Weak as my first point may be, we have to consider that there is
>at least one type of low-lying plant, near and in water, that could
>have caused extensive wear on sauropod teeth -- horsetails.
>Horsetails are tough, they contain silica (as far as I'm aware,
>although I'm no botanist), and they are plentiful in the Jurassic.  If
>a diplodocid were grazing by the waterside, it may well have ingested
>large quantities of horsetails.  In fact, I know from my own
>experience in a Late Jurassic deposit in Western Colorado
>(Mygatt-Moore Quarry) that horsetail pieces are found with diplodocid
>remains.

I`m glad Matt, that you brought up the fact that Horsetails were definitly
abrasive. I was just about to respond myself to the statements made that
aquatic plants were "soft". I`m not very knowledgeable in the field of
Botany, but remember reading  how campers can use horstails (the "scouring
rush") to clean their food encrusted pots and pans  where Brillo is not at
hand. And I`m also aware that horsetails were an early form of plant. I was
only wondering how abundant were they in the Jurrassic and Early Cretaceous,
(abundant enough to be a sauropod staple?).

I`ve heard of the Sauropod with pine needles found near the gut region. How
many examples of this exist?...just the one?? If there were several, I could
see the point of claiming it as a staple food item, but just one
case,...again, I would say perhaps desperation and possibly one final
indigestable meal by this particular Sauropod.