SAUROPOD TOOTH WEAR

John Schneiderman wrote...

> In my experience with finding sauropod teeth, I've discovered that
> most of the time the teeth do not show a lot of wear.

Hmm, thanks for this John. I am by no means experienced when it comes
to sauropod fossils, but the specimens I *have* seen: several
supposed _Cetiosaurus_ teeth, indeterminate stuff from north Africa,
and diplodocid skulls, do exhibit conspicuously worn tooth tips.
Also, a number of papers that discuss sauropod tooth morphology
emphasise tooth tip wear as an important sauropod feature: I have
Wilson and Sereno (1998) to hand and, on p. 57, they emphasise the
presence of distinctive wear facets in different kinds of sauropod.

What do those of you out there who have examined many sauropod teeth
have to say about this?

"I don't know.. fly casual"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk