Rewards

Greetings all,

Some say the rewards of working on fossils and arranging displays are where
it's at in museum work. It may be, for some.

Today we had a group of 8 young men, ages 7-9, come through our facility.
We had our opening Monday, not to be confused with a grand open to come
later in the summer, and this group was the most fun of all the visitors
we've had. These guys ran from one case to the next, back again, and were
totally entralled. Machinegun questions popped from every mouth, and eyes
bugged out at every new discovery. It made me really proud to provide, in
some part, a chance for these boys to experience the thrill of actually
seeing dinosaur and other Late Cretaceous fossils.

We gave them all a small fragment of junk bone, and these were treated with
all the awe as if they were teeth from Sue.

The few minutes of amazement and discovery made the months of hard work
worth every drop of sweat and every ounce of stress well worth it.

One factor that must be considered, I suppose, is the fact that in Lemmon,
South Dakota there are bloody few chances to see these kinds of fossils, on
display and fully prepared. Unlike some children that live where there are
major museums, this was a rare treat. We may not have a Sue, but the bones
we have worked so hard to prepare and display made a huge impact with these
kids.

I know this post didn't have anything to do with Dromaeosaurs, ill
considered books, or anything else we've been exposed to as of late here on
the dinosaur list, but I just had to share it with you. Lemmon may not be
the hub of the dinosaur world, yet, but today my job seemed a lot more
important and rewarding to me.

Roger A. Stephenson
Assistant Director
The Grand River Museum