Re: rearing up (long)

>  However, unless the animal would keep the neck so
>level to the ground, rearing or not, why rear in the
>first place?

I am assuming that once in a rearing position, which might bring the lower
part of the neck level with the lower crown of the tree, the animal could
move its head and neck to reach various parts of the crown for browsing
without having to shift from its rearing posture.  To reach, say, the mid
or lower crown on the opposite side of the tree it might well lower its
neck.  Rearing would simply place it in position to browse all levels of
the crown; bending the neck in various directions would permit the animal
to derive maximum foraging value from a single rearing activity.
1825 Shady Creek Court