Re: PORTUGESE ALLOSAURS

        Nino asked me to forward this to the list (Hi Nino!):

Darren Naish wrote:
>Regarding the new paper on the Portugese _Allosaurus fragilis_,
>Octavio Mateus said...
>
>> Is important to confirm if this specimen of Allosaurus fragilis is
>> not, in fact, the allosauroid Lourinhanosaurus antunesi.
>
>Has anyone asked Nino if he has been able to compare the two? I don't
>have his email. (And, BTW, sorry Octavio for omitting the accent from
>your name - I am not able to insert symbols into this email format).

        Bernardino (AKA Nino) Perez-Moreno responds:

Well, on the Portuguese specimen of Allosaurus fragilis and Lourinhanosaurus
antunesi. I was in Lisbon the last week on the press conference on the
new specimen of A. fragilis, and Octavio Mateus made me the same question.
I will answer it again. I have been not able to see the original material
of Lourinhanosaurus. Also, I didn't know anything about the paper on it
when I was writing the paper on A. fragilis. Dan Chure asked me about it
about three weeks ago, and then I asked to the Portuguese co-authors to
look for the paper by Octavio. Thus, the only data I have on Lourinhanosaurus
come from his paper. Sadly, there are no photographs from the pelvic and
hindlimb material in that paper, so I have to rely on the drawings. Our
specimen doesn't show the big foramen in the pubis of Lourinhanosaurus,
but it shows (as you can see in the photo of our paper) the ventral notch
typical of Allosaurus. And, although there aren't too much preserved neural
spines, none of them show the developed anterior process that appears in
Lourinhanosaurus. Nevertheless, our specimen, as you can also see in one
of the figures of our paper, has a virtually identical ischium to that
of Allosaurus, with a very, very long obturator process, which is a unique
character that diagnoses the genus. Thus, it is undoubtly a member of the
genus Allosaurus.

It shows some differences with the new species of Allosaurus to be
named by Dan Chure, but none with A. fragilis. We don't have the complete
specimen, and this can be a problem. You know, it is possible that it had a
very big nasal horn (or something like that) and it could be a new species
of Allosaurus.
But we have a reasonably complete specimen, composed, when we made the
paper, by part of the quadrate, some thoracic and gastral ribs, several
vertebrae (dorsal, sacral and caudal), part of the illium, almost complete
ischium, complete pubis, complete femur, complete tibia, almost complete
fibula, probable astragalus and calcaneous, complete metatarsus (excepting
mt I) and some phalanges of the foot. Later, we have identified some other
fragments, including a partial frontal and some teeth. An a new excavation
is being organized to look for more material in the same site, as the owner
of the land leaved it intact from 1988 (amazing, right?). Thus, maybe we
can find more.

I hope this could be enough. Anyway, if you have any question for me,
you can contact me at nino@uam.es

Best,

Nino.

 "Only those whose life is short can truly believe that love is forever"-Lorien