Re: MADAGASCAN ORNITHISCHIANS

Despite considerable efforts, the tooth specimens originally described as
possible stegosaur teeth have not been relocated.  However, recent work in
the Late Cretaceous of Madagascar has resulted in similar tooth specimens,
and these have been a mystery to us, particularly since they seem to
differ from ornithischian teeth.  Then, last season, we found a skull (and
partial skeleton) with  some of these teeth in place, and it is decidedly
not an ornithischian.  At the risk of sounding like Tom Holtz, I'm afraid
that the actual identity of this beast will have to await formal
announcement in the not too distant future. Nonetheless, to the best of
our knowledge, there have not been any remains recovered from Madagascar
that can be placed securely within Ornithischia.

Scott Sampson

Scott D. Sampson, PhD
Department of Anatomy
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Technology
Old Westbury, New York
11568, USA

Phone:  (516) 686-3807