Re: CNN: how first birds flew

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/5/99 12:03:50 PM EST, bettyc@flyinggoat.com writes:
>
> << As a flier Archaeopteryx probably represents a late stage in the
>  evolution of bird flight. Chiappe and Burgers think early winged
>  dinosaurs were able to run faster and evade predators by flapping their
>  wings. Their descendents probably kept going faster and faster and
>  eventually were able to take off.  >>

> This is so unlikely I can't believe the paper was accepted in a refered
> journal like Nature. Let me at it.

Indeed. I'd have thought that the last thing you'd want to do if being
pursued by a predator would be to stick your arms out. Wouldn't this
actually slow you down? I've always thought that Archae's feet
carried recurved claws adapted for perching and grasping. Wouldn't
these also present a problem to a fast runner? Sort of like trying
to run in golf shoes...

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia