Re: CNN: how first birds flew

If it was being chased by a roughly equal sized predator, I'd see it
turning around and spreading it's arms as wide as possible in order to
look as BIG AS POSSIBLE.  Maybe even hop up and down and make rattling
noises as it flapped and looked as fierce as possible.

-Betty Cunningham

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> Indeed. I'd have thought that the last thing you'd want to do if being
> pursued by a predator would be to stick your arms out. Wouldn't this
> actually slow you down? I've always thought that Archae's feet
> carried recurved claws adapted for perching and grasping. Wouldn't
> these also present a problem to a fast runner? Sort of like trying
> to run in golf shoes...

Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com