Re: Sauropod fodder

At 08:18 AM 5/7/99 -0400, Larry Febo wrote:
>As far as feeding off pines is concerned, how fast could the pines then
>regenerate?

As I remember, what is known from the Morrison is not pines per se, but
rather basal conifers (or at least early members of existing conifer
clades).  This means that much of what is true of the living forms may
*not* have been true of these.

> Couldn`t horsetails regenerate a lot quicker?

Quite possibly, but not necessarily.

>Also, aren`t pines
>generally adapted to a dry habitat?

It is probably more accurate to say conifers are generally restricted to
dry or very cold habitats.  But this is largely because they are
out-competed in other habitats by flowering plants.  Since flowering plants
did not yet exist in the Late Jurassic (or if they did, they were very
localized, and very rare), conifers and their relatives, of necessity,
occupied many habitats now occupied by flowering trees.

[But then, the Morrison WAS a dry habitat anyhow!]

> How far then, would the Sauropods have
>to go to fetch water, and would this be feasable to their bioenergetic
>budget??Wouldn`t horsetails provide a great deal of the Sauropod`s needed
>water supply?

Unlikely.  Horsetails, as I remember them, are not a very good source of water.