Re: CNN: how first birds flew

>The only things that strike me wrong is that insect wings
>operate at very different Reynold's numbers than
>bird wings

I don't think insect wings are a particularly useful analog, developmentally
or functionally, for vertebrate wings. The interesting thing to me about
Kingsolver's work was the idea that an evolutionary innovation selected for
non-flight purposes ( I think his example had to do with thermoregulation in
insects) could provide aerodynamic benefits simply by scaling up the
absolute size of the animal. Still an interesting concept to me.  I've often
wondered about its application to feathers.