Re: http://www.dinosaurextinction.com

George,
    I had no trouble getting on to your web site and using it.
I bookmarked it and I'll look in on it from time to time. Rather
than respond to the questions on the web site, I thought I would
respond to them on the list so that our friends can pick the answers to
pieces.
I am a physicist, not a paleontologist, so my background is spotty.

    I live now in New Jersey, site of the oldest discovered (1858)
articulated dinosaur skeleton Hadrosaurus Foulkii, the state's
official dinosaur.

New Jersey is also famous for its fabulous Cretaceous Amber,
which is an excellent sources of insect fossils, including ants,
wasps, beetles, midges (bloodsuckers), and moths.
Life in Cretaceous lowlands (like NJ) must have been a living hell
of insects. This is seldom mentioned in works on
paleontology. I think because they are prejudiced by
the glamorous large caliber western finds, where insects
are not as well-known. When I was growing up in eastern
Pennsylvnia, we used to call especially vicious mosquitoes "Jersey
mosquitoes". My mental image is that the same thing
applied in the Cretaceous.

New Jersey was about 1/3 its present  size in the Cretaceous.
The lower 2/3 is all Cenozoic sand and gravel.
So NJ was bounded then, as it is today, by the Delaware
River and the Atlantic Ocean. It had swamps and beaches,
as it does now.

A large geographical feature that has existed continuously
since before the cretaceous is the Delaware River.
I haven't been able to find out how old the river is, but the
Delaware water gap cuts through hills that were once mountains
of the Acadian orogeny. The river cut the stone faster than
the mountains rose, so it kept to its course.

The Cretaceous plant life in NJ included flowering plants.

The Hadrosaurs were preyed upon by a medium-sized
theropod, Dryptosaurus, and probably by  packs of
smaller dromaeosaurs. Carnivore skeletons are rare here.
The family relationships of Dryptosaurus are not well-known,
in part because of the poor quality of most of the remains.
There were no Tyrranosaurids. They came from China in the late
part of the Cretaceous and couldn't get across the sea that
went down the center of the USA. I would put feathers on the
smaller raptors and on the chicks of the larger ones.

A very useful web site for state-specific information about
dinosaurs is:

http://www.geobop.com/paleobop/Atlas/USA.htm

The NJ page is:
http://www.geobop.com/paleobop/Atlas/US/NJ.htm
It contains links to good sites which include the
amber page.

A good book about the Eastern U.S.A. during the
cretaceous and before, which contains the type
of information you're looking for is:

W. Gallagher, "When Dinosaurs Roamed New Jersey"

Hope this helps.
Best of luck with your book.
-Gus Derkits