Re: Running with arms out

At 05:21 PM 5/9/99 EDT, Dinogeorge wrote:
>In a message dated 5/9/99 12:43:31 PM EST, jjackson@interalpha.co.uk writes
>(quoting Tom Holtz):
>
><< II) Selection favors variants with a longer reach (longer arms, longer
> hands). >>
>
>Doubt that this is true. In some theropods the forelimbs are ridiculously
>small, in others not so small. I see no selective favoritism of longer reach,
>longer forelimbs here.

Okay, should have been less telegraphic here:

II) Along the lineage in question, selection favored some variants with a
longer reach.

(As George points out, there are plenty of theropods at various stages
(_Torvosaurus_, tyrannosaurids, alvarezsaurids, etc.) for which shorter arms
were selected).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661