Re: SJMercuryNews:biggest and smallest fossil mammals

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 5/10/99 12:54:18 PM EST, bettyc@flyinggoat.com writes:

<< Welcomme said his colleague Laurant Marivaux from the University of
 Montpellier discovered what they think is the smallest fossil remains of
 a mammal in the same area.

 ``It's a new species. We want to study the details,'' he said. ``It's
 only one or two millimetres long.'' >>

Everyone is yakking about the big baluchithere. How about this absurdly small
size for a mammal?

One or two millimeters long?!? We are talking about the fossil specimen, not the entire animal, right? PLEASE tell me it's some kind of joke if it IS supposed to be the whole animal...-Chris Srnka