Re: Weird mammal cladograms, and dino implications

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> Despite the mammalian orientation of this post, I get to dinos at the end...
>
> Waddell, P.J., Okada, N. & Hasegawa, M.  1999.  Towards resolving the
> interordinal relationships of placental mammals.  Syst. Biol. 48:1-5.
>
> The "new" view includes some big changes.  The basal split is not between
> xenarthrans and epitheres, but between (the ancestrally Gondwanan?) clade
> Atlantogenata and a second assemblage containg Glires,

No mention of the studies that show rabbits to be archontans, close to
tree shrews?

Do Guinea pigs and relations fall out in this clade as well?

> Euarchonta (old
> Archonta minus the bats), and the new Laurasiatheria.  Atlantogenates are
> the (ancestrally South American?) Xenarthra (sloths, anteaters, armadillos)
> and the recently proposed Afrotheria, containing the golden mole-tenrec
> clade Afrosoricida, elephant shrews, aardvarks, hyaxes, and tethytheres.

Some of this stuff is really weird, but (if you'll excuse the unscientific
sentiment) I've always had a good "feeling" about Afrotheria.

> The laurasiatheres include many of the remaining traditional insectivores
> (true moles, true shrews, soleodons, etc., but hedgehogs may lie outside all
> other placentals!), bats, the cetartiodactyls (more below), and the new
> Zooamata ("animal friends"): perissodactyls, carnivorans, and pangolins.

Perissodactyls, carnivorans, and pangolins???!!!  Oy, vay!

> Not addressed in these papers, and something I'd like to see new analyses of
> in light of these topologies, are: the phylogenetic position of the South
> American "ungulates": within Ungulata gone, where the heck do they go?
> Sister group to Xenarthra would be too much to ask...;

Or maybe sister group to Afrotheria, which contains a bunch of
"paenungulate" stuff.

Getting back to dinosaurs, this reminds me of some fascinating stuff I
heard here recently about paleogeography and bird evolution.
Specifically, that cariamas, turacos, caracaras, phorusrhacoids, and
others represent a distincively South American radiation of birds.  Do I
have that right?

-Nick Pharris