Re: Giant flightless birds

----- Original Message -----
From: T. Mike Keesey <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
To: Larry Febo <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Giant flightless birds

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Larry Febo wrote:
>
> > Are there any three digit (manus) theropods that also have very short
arms?

> _Torvosaurus_, spinosaurs. Neoceratosaurs had four manual digits, but one
> is vestigial -- They all have small, sometimes tiny arms.
>
> > I`ve tried to make a logical arguement here based on how " natural
> > selection" might have operated. I guess more solid proof will someday
have
> > to come from more complete fossil evidence. (Finding a fossil bird
closer to
> > Tetanurines than Maniraptors would be nice!)

......and Matt Bonnan added Carnotaurus. Also, ...with a bit of reading in
"The Dinosauria" I found that Elmisauridae (which don`t have opposable
digits) also have long arms. So I guess my arguement for a connection
between usefullness of the manus for grasping and retention of long arms has
no basis in fact. It seems that arm length is a totally random condition in
theropods.

> Maniraptors *are* tetanurans. Perhaps you mean "finding a non-maniraptoran
> tetanuran flier"?

Yeah, I really ought to get these names straight. Guess I meant Maniraptors
vs Tyrannosaurids in this case. I was shooting for something that might show
(if it is ever found) that each theropod group had its own bird ancestor.
(any "non-maniraptoran" flier would do 8^)!