Re: "The Tasmanian Tiger May Live Again"

> Excuse me but isn't it quite likely that the Thylacine still lives in small
> numbers in Tasmania as many people have seen it since it was declared
> extinct?  Wouldn't it be less expensive to try to find the remaining
> thylacines and protect them then it would be to clone them?  Although I
> soppose cloned individuals could always be used to supplement the wild
> population.

The Tasmanian thylacine is the world's most common extinct animal.
Most of the evidence for its survival into the present day comes
from numerous sightings and (alleged) scats of the animal.  It pains
me to say this, but I think the thylacine has gone the way of the
dodo.

If the thylacine is extant, then it survives in isolated pockets in
Tasmania's extensive wilderness.  We don't know where these holdouts
are (or even if they exist), so we don't know how to nurture any
thylacines that are there.  Tasmania's forests, though, are
protected, and any wild thylacines are probably doing quite well
without human intereference.  I think we've done enough already.  :-(

Tim