Re: dinosaur questions

Mike:

    My references say that the specimen (one bone) was badly damaged (but
nearly complete) when found, was the 9th or 10th dorsal vertebra, and that
it was lost during transference of Cope's collection to the Academy of
Natural Sciences of Phila.  (ANSP). Cope estimated that the length of the
femur could have been more than 3.5 meters (~12 feet).  I believe that the
bone was crumbling back then, which is why Cope named it so.

    Osborn and Mook refered the _A. fragillimus_ to _A. altus_, which
McIntosh accepted in his review in 1990.  They (Osborn & Mook) suggested
that it should be merged into _Diplodocus_.  (Jack McIntosh thought it was
possibly within a 'subfamily' of Diplodocinae).

    One note about Cope's fossils at ANSP:  We found some that had been
hidden away in a cabinet for nearly 100 years.  They still had the local
newspapers of the time wrapped around them.  From the DVPS journal "The
Mosasaur", Volume IV, entilted:

    "Rediscovery of Fossil Material at the Academy of Natural Sciences of
Philadelphia from Edward Drinker Cope?s 1893 Expedition to the Dakotas -
Edward Daeschler and Anthony R. Fiorillo".

    It is always possible that parts of the bone may yet be found, perhaps
buried under some whale bones or something like that in the basement.  :-)

    Allan Edels