flocking

While it's not exactly a dinosaur topic, it IS an avian topic, and I
suppose that makes it a dinosaur topic by default :)

All of this talk of pack hunting and group social behaviors made me think
of another common group behavior.  I'm sure most people have seen gigantic
flocks of starlings or blackbirds that, while flying, may all suddenly
wheel and turn in unison.  What allows them to communicate this sort of
action to one another?  And in the world of pure speculation, is it
possible birds have inherited this trait from the theropods?  Or is it
something that has evolved much later? I'm not sure what other birds
participate in this sort of behavior...

Andrea Kirk
University of Maryland

http://animedomain.com/xianghua