Re: Carcharodontosaurus

On Mon, 17 May 1999 22:58:18 +0200 THammann@t-online.de (T Hammann)
writes:
>Message from Thomas Hammann
>THammann@t-online.de
>

>Hi all,
>
>maybe there is someone on the list who knows which animals were the
likely prey
>of Carcharodontosaurus saharicus. Also I am interested in the look of
the
>landscape of northern Africa at the time when Carcharodontosaurus lived
there.

>Many thanks for all informations (and please excuse my english...).
>
>Nice greetings from Germany,
>Thomas

   Well, I can help with the first part.  According to the Dinosaurian
Distribution chapter of *The Dinosauria* (1992 edition), contemporaries
of *Carchar.* (known as of 1992) include:
Theropods:
   *Spinosaurus aegyptiacus*: a spinosaurid
   *Bahariasaurus ingens*: a close relative of *Carchar.*
   *Deltadromeus agilis* was found after 1992, and is a basal
coelurosaurian, possibly in a family with *Dryptosaurus*
Indeterminate and non-specific theropod remains:
  "Elaphrosaurus" sp.: a theropod of some sort
  "E." *gautieri* and *iguidiensis*: both indeterminate theropods,
possibly juveniles of another species
  *Inosaurus tedreftensis*: an indeterminate theropod, possibly chimeric
  *Spinosaurus* sp.: probably a spinosaurid
  cf. *Erectopus sauvagei*: probably a large theropod
  cf. *Carchar.* sp.: probably a large theropod
Sauropods:
   *Brachiosaurus nougaredi*: a brachiosaurid
   *Aegyptosaurus baharijensis*: a titanosaurid
   "Rebbachisaurus" *tamesnensis*: a ?camarasaurid
   *R. garasbae*: a basal diplodocimorph
Indeterminate and non-specific sauropod remains:
   Sauropoda indet.
   *Pleurocoelus* sp.: probably between *Brachiosaurus* and
Titanosauridae
   cf. *Dicraeosaurus* sp.: probably a dicraeosaurid
Ornithischia, indeterminate remains:
   Iguanodontid indet.
   Nodosaurid indet.

   So, of the dinosaurs, there is a wide variety of sauropods, three
other well-known large theropods, less variety of ornithischians, and
some material probably belonging to small theropods.  Any of these
dinosaurs could have been food for a *Carchar.*, either through hunting
or carrion.  GIven the abundance of sauropods, it is a good bet that
adult *Carchar.* had a lot of their food come from the sauropods.
-*Thescelosaurus*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]