Re: flocking

> Date:          Mon, 17 May 1999 15:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          Andrea Kirk <kirkam@wam.umd.edu>
> To:            dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject:       flocking

> While it's not exactly a dinosaur topic, it IS an avian topic, and I
> suppose that makes it a dinosaur topic by default :)
>
> All of this talk of pack hunting and group social behaviors made me think
> of another common group behavior.  I'm sure most people have seen gigantic
> flocks of starlings or blackbirds that, while flying, may all suddenly
> wheel and turn in unison.  What allows them to communicate this sort of
> action to one another?  And in the world of pure speculation, is it
> possible birds have inherited this trait from the theropods?  Or is it
> something that has evolved much later? I'm not sure what other birds
> participate in this sort of behavior...
>

> Andrea Kirk
> University of Maryland
>
> http://animedomain.com/xianghua

Not only species of birds, but also some species of fish show that
kind of 'wheel and turn in unison' behaviour.

"Secrets must be exposed when found.
Detours must be taken when encountered.
And if you are at the place of concealment or standing at the crossroads,
you must never leave it to another to act in your place."
Qui-Gon Jinn; Jedi Master