Re: flocking

Artificial life enthusiasts (e.g. Chris Langton) have shown that true
flocking
behavior, in which a coherent group of agents maintains distances and follows

complex trajectories, is extremely easy to imitate in computer programs.
The first computer entities to exhibit this "behavior" were called "boids".
So, it seems easy to get to flocking behavior from many different starting
points and the behavior need not be inherited from as far back as fish.
-Gus Derkits