Re: Torvosaurus & Giganotosaurus

Matthew Bonnan wrote:

<... but what of Brooks Britt's 1990 (?) paper on
Torvosaurus tanneri?  From my foggy recollection, he
has nice skull and postcranial illustrations in there,
and considers Torvosaurus tanneri to be a megalosaur
(?) -- again foggy recollection.>

  True, he's got most of a skull (I managed to make a
composite off of it) there. Proportions give the
fellow a really narrow but long skull, with a tight
V-shaped premaxillary bite-pattern (like
*Proceratosaurus* and *Monolophosaurus*). Robust
postorbital boss.

  Meanwhile, Sereno et al. (1996, 1998) have placed
*Torvosaurus* with Spinosauridae as Torvosauroidea,
based on a lot of postcranial similarities, which
*Megalosaurus*, fragmentary as it is, is hard-pressed
to duplicate reasonably. The new "Poekilopleuron"
skeleton from France includes skull material, so we
may have more to say on *Torvosaurus* systematics in
the [near ?] future.

  Stickin' my nose in torvosaurs' faces again,

===
- Greek proverb: "Knowledge is Inherent;
  Stupidity is Learned." -

Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the we---is temporarily out of service.
Please check back when the phone lines are not busy.