Re: comparative color vision

In addition to Mickey's most excellent adressing of color perceptions
between species I wanted to mention that there can be STRONG variation
of color perception WITHIN a single species as well.

As a couple of examples:
1) Homo sapiens are capable of differentiating something on the order of
10,000 'colors'.  Most normal people untrained-in-the-arts can really
only distinguish between about 4,000.
(dads choosing a shirt to go with a pair of pants are usually only
receptive to about 50 'colors'-and more by association with objects in
the "class of objects known to be of a particular color group" than by
any real time identification-they can identify Mikita Blue, and Tonka
Truck Yellow with ease, for example)

2) What >I< percieve as RED on a single unique object (say a particular
shade of lipstick) and what >YOU< percieve as RED (SAME lipstick shade)
are NOT likely to be represented in our own heads to us as the SAME
shade of RED.  My receptors may interprete the RED object as being in
the crimson shades and your receptors may interpret the RED object in
the scarlet shades.  As I understand it, Homo sapiens has our greatest
disparity in judging RED as a species.

-Betty Cunningham

--
Flying Goat Graphics