Re: Comparative color vision

A brief discussion of the color recognition factor is discussed in Betty
Edward's DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN (and her sequel DRAWING
ON THE ARTIST WITHIN), which goes into greater detail to discus the
modern school system's failure to train the RIGHT hemisphere's
observation skills as well as it trains the LEFT hemisphere's
classification skills.

This 'disassociation' with color by a percentage of the population
appears to be a social discrimination between certain sexes and ages.  A
10 year old boy with a box of 64 crayola crayons can usually identify
all of them by color name after a weeks' use, the 40 year old father of
the same kid could be hampered enough that he's limited to labelling
them by much broader catagories such as a yellow-green, a blue-green,
etc.

The color sense of this set of the population was more of a 'grouping by
color associations' rather than a true evaluation of the colors on thier
own benefit.  This group, having usually been raised to expect that they
were not as good as identifying colors as their female family members
would simply develop an internal classification system of color-hence
Tonka Truck Yellow to stand for certain shades of yellow that I would
place in the Cadmium group. (And irregardless of the fact that Tonka has
had about 15 different shades of yellow paint chip sets since they
switched to the yellow as a brand identifier from their original brown
toy color.)

As an example, back in art school we were told that people's perceptions
of color were easily 'fad' driven, so a plummy burgundy could be
identical to a brownish red from a prior season's color pallette but
being TOLD that it was a different color, that there were a great many
people, particularily adult white males, who would be too lazy to
recognise the identical nature on their own.  And they'd purchase a new
shirt in exactly the same shade as the shirt they'd bought the prior
season.

So something about dinosaurs should go here...um....
The Dreamworks game WARPATH looks really really fun-it's a fighting game
between dinosaurs that fight in proper dinosaur fashion-no boxing, etc.

-Betty Cunningham

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com