Re: Comparative color vision

Betty C. said:
"This 'disassociation' with color by a percentage of the population
appears to be a social discrimination between certain sexes and ages.
10 year old boy with a box of 64 crayola crayons can usually
identify
all of them by color name after a weeks' use, the 40 year old father
of
the same kid could be hampered enough that he's limited to labelling
them by much broader catagories such as a yellow-green, a
blue-green,
etc."

and

"As an example, back in art school we were told that people's
perceptions
of color were easily 'fad' driven, so a plummy burgundy could be
identical to a brownish red from a prior season's color pallette but
being TOLD that it was a different color, that there were a great
many
people, particularily adult white males, who would be too lazy to
recognise the identical nature on their own.  And they'd purchase a
new
shirt in exactly the same shade as the shirt they'd bought the prior
season."

I know reptiles and birds sit up nights hoping they didn't get
tricked again by the fashion world and perceived this year's brick red
as last years firery orange. =)  On a more serious note, while an
artist's (or Joe Public's) perception of color is an interesting
topic, the things we call color are different light wave frequencies.
Even scientists who are completely color blind can detect "color" with
special apparatus, even if they don't perceive it.  "Blue" is a
specific light wave frequency that some animals can detect.  Most
animals, I suspect, don't worry about how they're perceiving color --
perhaps in some instances the inability to perceive certain colors may
ultimately be fatal.  Again, while color perception by humans is a
fascinating topic in its own right, I believe it has little
applicability to color recognition in other animals.

And, as an after-thought, your use of "color lazy" men is not really
a fair comparison.  Perhaps men aren't interested in the color of this
year's most fashionable dress, but they might be more interested in
the colors available in this year's Porche or Ferrari (and this is
another blatant stereotype). =)  In any case, what do human males and
females have to do with dinosaurs seeing in color? =)

Matt Bonnan