Re: Fixing dinosaurian carnivour question

At 01:09 AM 5/26/99 EDT, George Olshevsky wrote:

>Sinosauropteryx, Caudipteryx, and Protarchaeopteryx are all contenders at
>pretty much the same size as Compsognathus.

Well, _Caudipteryx_ is larger than the compsognathids (I remember how
shocked I was when I first saw that it wasn't an Archaeopteryx-sized form!!).

>Might want to check on Mononykus,
>Patagonykus, and Alvarezsaurus, too. Don't happen to have those papers
>available just now. Avimimus is pretty small, too, but somewhat bigger than
>Compsognathus as I recall.

_Avimimus_ is comparable in size to _Compsognathus_, but smaller than
_Caudipteryx_.

There are other small theropods (published or soon to be) for which we don't
know the ontogenetic stage: mostly teeth and limb bones.

On the subject of somewhat larger forms...  Watch this space for an
announcement wihtin the next 48 hours (he said, cryptically).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661