re: fixing dinosaur question

I will discontinue the term "dinosaur" as soon as all the leading scientists
stop using it, too. I guess it's okay for paleontologists to create books
titled _The DINOSAUR Encyclopedia_. For some reason, it's not okay for
non-professionals to use the term dinosaur in what should be a laid back
setting. Did anyone have a problem understanding the subject of the book
when it was published? Did you think it was about blue jays and robins? Do
you really think all of the collabortaing authors are ignorant of the
bird-dinosaur relationship?

This has nothing to do with correct scientific verbage and everything to do
with people who have a drum to beat. I think we need to change the name of
this list, too then. The title itself goes against the charter. "The
non-avian dinosaur mailing list" has quite a nice ring to it, don't you
think?

Can we start talking about stuff that *really*  matters again?

-Sherry
(I'm sorry, I'm a bit miffed.)

MKIRKALDY@aol.com wrote:

 > Nevertheless, the charter of the Dinosaur Mailing List is the
 _scientific_
 > discussion of dinosaurs, with an insistence on using the
 complete and
 > correct scientific terms.  In doing so, we don't have to guess
 what
 > the poster "really meant," which was what started this thread.
 >
 > Mary
 > mkirkaldy@aol.com
"People are like tea bags - you have to put them in hot water before you
know how strong they are."