Re: Feathers on Bloody Everything

At 10:10 AM 27/05/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>To quote Tom Holtz in the hall after I dropped this bomb at SVP:
>(the effect doesn't work unless you imagine him flapping his arms as he
>was...)
>
>"So, how do you think that Larry Martin is going to explain this away...?"

By saying that the structures on the new beast are analogous to those on
Sinosauropteryx (which he admits is clearly a dinosaur), that these
structures are not protofeathers, and that therefore the specimen puts us
no closer to the question of bird origins than we were before we knew about
Sinosauropteryx.  Of course even if they are protofeathers, I am not sure
that finding two dinosaurs with such structures in groups not that close
to, say, dromaeosaurids tells us anything more about the dino-bird link
than finding one has done.  The discovery certainly tells us more about
dinosaur integuments, of course!
1825 Shady Creek Court