Re: A therizinosauroid dinosaur with integumentary structures fromChina

Mike Keesey writes:

>... true feathers would have evolved twice. Maybe I should wait until I
>read the paper, but it seems that ...
>
>a) _Caudipteryx_ lies outside {Oviraptorosauria + Therizinosauria}
>(closer to birds).

At the Ostrom Symposium there was at least some evidence that Caudipteryx
was an oviraptorisaurid or something very like one.  Thus for a single
evolution of feathers all you would need is to have oviraptors,
Protarchaeopteryx and Avialae closer to each other than to compsognathids
or therezinosaurids.  Is this an unreasonable view?  Tom?
1825 Shady Creek Court