Prosauropods & pterosaurs (was Re: Fixing dinosaurian carnivour question)

At 09:15 AM 5/28/99 -0500, Jonathan schmidt wrote:

>You want a question on prosauropods I'll  give you one.
>Has it been proven that some species of prosauropod ate meat on occasion or
>that they only ate plants?

Unfortunately not.  Proving the diet of extinct animals can be quite
bothersome.  What is known is that prosauropod teeth closely resemble those
of early ornithischians, so they probably had similar diets.  However,
whether that diet was strictly plants, or included some meat, is not known.

(I should point out that troodontid teeth have some similarities to those of
ornithischians and prosauropods).

I'll pass on the pterosaur questions: hopefully Darren (who knows more about
them than I) will have more up-to-date info.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661