Re: Fixing Feathers

In a message dated 5/28/99 12:31:44 PM EST, TomHopp@aol.com writes:

<< Not so fast. Fish scales contain keratin don't they? Most every dermal
 structure does. It seems to me that protein, calcium and phosphate get
around
 in the body quite generally, and different structures use them as needed. My
 impression is that any creature with teeth will turn out to have a
homologous
 structure to scales and to feathers, if you look phylogenetically far enough
 back. Clear proof of this will come when genome workers spot the common
 ancestry among the regulatory genes for the assembly of these structures --
 give it about ten years, then proof should be in hand, one way or the other.
 -- Tom Hopp >>

It's not the keratin; it's the >composition< of the keratin that's different
between scales and feathers.