Re: Fixing dinosaurian carnivour question

At 12:05 PM 5/26/99 -0400, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>If you want to be *SCIENTIFIC*, then we must regard birds as dinosaurs.

I think this is much too strong.  As Peter Ashlock has shown, it is
perfectly *possible* to define and use paraphyletic groups in a scientific
and, at least arguably meaningful, manner.

Whether this approach is sufficiently useful to be added to the repertoire
of taxonomy is a different question.  But Ashlock's methods remain
scientific even if it is concluded they are of limited utility.

[Now, I would suggest that the frequent need to refer to "non-avian
dinosaurs" points towards a utility in the old definition].