Re: Dinosaurs of Morrison Formation

On Sat, 29 May 1999 00:42:21 +0100 "Octavio Mateus"
<museulourinha@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

>Hi!=20
>I made the list of dinosaurs known in Morrison Formation: 19 species =
>(!!!!) of sauropods, 10 species of theropods and 14 species of =
>ornithischians. Feel yourself free to do comments if there are =
>nomenclature changes or other in this list.=20
>     It was based in Carpenter (1998), Carpenter et al. (1998), Dodson=
>et al. (1980) and Weishampel (1990).
>=20
>       How much is the area of Morrison Formation???
>   =20
>
>DINOSAURS OF MORRISON FORMATION
>SAUROPODA
>Amphicoelias altus
>Amphicoelias fragillimus

   Both species of *Amphicoelias* are suspect, and the type of *A.
fragillimus* is missing.  However, new material has been found and
assigned to *Amphi*.

>Apatosaurus excelsus
>Apatosaurus louisae
>=93Apatosaurus=94 minimus

   I'm not sure how well this one is faring.  Another sauropod that needs
a new name from the Morrison is "Morosaurus" *agilis*, which is based on
some cranial material and cervicals, and may belong to
*Haplocanthosaurus*.  Possibly synonymous with *Apatosaurus* is
"Titanosaurus" *montanus*, otherwise known as *Atlantosaurus*.

>Barosaurus lentus
>Brachiosaurus altithorax
>Camarasaurus grandis
>Camarasaurus lentus
>Camarasaurus lewisi
>Camarasaurus supremus

   *C. grandis* has been referred to *C. supremus* in the past (White
1958), but has been accepted as distinct since then (McIntosh in *The
Dinosauria*).  So, it may or may not be distinct.

>Diplodocus carnegii
>Diplodocus lacustris

   *D. lacustris* is dubious, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned
out to be the same as one of the other species of *Diplo*.

>Diplodocus longus
>Dystrophaeus unemalae

   This one is usually considered dubious.  In Glut's 1997 encyclopedia,
it is claimed that the location where the holotype was found has been
rediscovered, and that bones there may belong to the holotype, so this
taxon may make a reappearance.

>Dystylosaurus edwini
>Haplocanthosaurus delfsi
>Haplocanthosaurus pricus
>Seismosaurus halli
>19 species!!!

   *Supersaurus vivianae* (Jensen, 1985b) is also Morrison, although some
have synonymized it with other sauropods (I think *Dystylosaurus* is one
of the candidates).  *Dyslocosaurus polyonychius* (McIntosh, Coombs, and
Russell, 1992) may be from either the Morrison or the Lance formation; I
don't know if that one's settled.

>THEROPODA
>Allosaurus fragilis

   Some workers have *A. fragilis* separated into two or more species.
For example, in *Predatory Dinosaurs of the World*, a lot of the material
previously assigned to *A.  fragilis* is considered to belong to *A.
atrox*.  Another species, *A. amplexus*, which is based on the old
*Epanterias* material, is differentiated by its large size.  It may be
the same as *Saurophaganax maximus* (1995), which is another huge
Morrison theropod.  Plus, there may be some new species published.

>Ceratosaurus nasicornis
>Coelurus agilis
>Coelurus fragilis

   *C. agilis* is considered to be the same as *C. fragilis*.

>Elaphrosaurus sp.
>Hypsirophus discurus

   This is a dubious name.

>Marshosaurus bicentesimus
>Ornitholestes hermanni
>Stokesosaurus clevelandi
>Torvosaurus tanneri
>10 species

   *Koparion douglassi* (Chure, 1994), a tooth taxon that has been
suggested as a troodontid, is also Morrison.  There are some informal
names of Morrison theropods going around ("Brontoraptor",
"Wyomingraptor", and "Beelemodon"; I think those are all Morrison), and a
large theropod named *Edmarka rex* (Bakker, Kralis, Siegwarth, and Filla,
1992) may be the same as *Torvosaurus*.  Also, there is *Palaeopteryx
thomsoni* (Jensen, 1981), which has been considered both a bird and a
nonavian theropod, current opinion favoring a nonavian theropod status.

>ORNITHISCHIA
>Camptosaurus amplus

   This one I'm not sure about.  In Glut's 1997 encyclopedia, its
holotype, a foot, is said to belong to *Allosaurus fragilis*.

>?Camptosaurus depressus

   Since the holotype of *C. depressus* is much younger in age
(Barremian, unless the formation [Lakota] was misidentified), this
material may be misidentified.

>Camptosaurus dispar
>Camptosaurus prestwichii

   *C. prestwichii* is from England, not the Morrison.

>Drinker nisti
>Dryosaurus altus
>Gargoyleosaurus parkpini
>=93Laosaurus=94 celer

   This is a dubious ornithopod.

>Mymoorepelta maysi
>Nanosaurus agilis

   This is dubious as well.

>Othnielia rex
>Stegosaurus armatus
>Stegosaurus longispinus
>Stegosaurus stenops

  *Stegosaurus* may have more valid species than these, or it may be two
genera (*Diracodon* usually being the second name).  Also, I had seen (on
the Dinosauricon, I think)  that *S. longispinus* may be a species of
*Kentrosaurus*.

>14 species

   Material from the Morrison of Grand Junction, Colorado has been
referred to *Echinodon* sp.  Also, there are two more dubious species
that may be ornthischian: *Tichosteus lucasanus* and *T. aequifacies*.
Both are based on vertebrae.
-*Thescelosaurus*

>                Oct=E1vio Mateus
>
>GEAL- Museu da Lourinh=E3
>2530 Lourinh=E3
>PORTUGAL
>Tel. & Fax: 00.351.61.413995
>Email: museulourinha@mail.telepac.pt
>Website: http://hpv.pt/geal

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]