Re: Taxonomy (was Re: Fixing dinosaurian carnivour question)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Stanley Friesen wrote:

> At 12:49 AM 5/28/99 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>
> > But then one would have to specify which version of Reptilia they were
> > referring to every single time they used the word.
>
> Saying "Class Reptilia" accomplishes that rather nicely.

Hm. Might be a good ploy for historical writing or communication with the
general public, yes. Also "Order Saurischia", "Class Amphibia", etc. --
But what do we do for poor Dinosauria, which didn't have a rank? (Or was
it a "Grandorder" or something?... those tacked-on prefixes always elude
me.)

--T. Mike Keesey                                    <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
WORLDS                                  <http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1>