Re: symbiotic relationships among dinosaurs

At 08:49 AM 30/05/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>     Were there any known symbiotic relationships between any two (or more)
>species of dinosaur, like the zebra and wildebeast of today's Africa?

How on earth would you tell?  Short of something really weird turning up I
cannot imagine what sort of fossil you would need to show such a thing -
much less determine if it were mutually beneficial!

If we can look at modern dinosaurs (sorry, birds), for a moment, there are
certainly mutualistic relationships among some of them (and I think calling
the relationship between zebras and wildebeest "symbiotic" is grossly
overstretching the meaning of that term - they can certainly get along
quite well without each other!).  For example, the rare Saffron-cowled
Blackbird of southern Brazil and northern Argentina is almost always found
in association with a flycatcher, the Black-and-white Monjita; and many
forest birds, particularly in the tropics, regularly associate in mixed
feeding flocks - in the tropics these can be highly organized indeed.  At
least two species of antshrike in Brazil actually use special calls to
round up other species in the flock every morning.
1825 Shady Creek Court