Re: mokele-mbembe

Jordan Mallon wrote:
Good morning, afternoon and night to all,

I really hope I'm not writing anything wrong in this posting (I remember
some people had problems with the Loch Ness monster postings a bit back),
but I just read in the paper this morning about an expidition being lead out
in the Congo in search a supposed "living brontosaurus."  This
"mokele-mbembe", as the villagers who have spotted it call it, has a squat
body and a long neck for plucking fruit off trees.  They say it is very
elusive and spends most of its time hiding in the water.  It should
interesting to see what the expidition comes up with.
The article I read also mentions "munhuru"- a stegosaur-like creature seen
in Kenya.  I think I'd be more interested in seeing that!
Well, just thought I'd let you know.

As fascinating as this sounds, I really doubt that any genera of Dinosaur will be found.  It is likely that these stories have a kernel of truth at their hearts, as do most legends and myths, but that kernel is likely far different from what the current story has evolved into.  If there IS a living animal responsible for this myth, and it is still alive, I would expect it to be some sort of modern animal form of a known or even unknown species, but nothing so extravagant as a living Dinosaur.

Of course, there is also the possibility that these descriptions of the animal, giving by indigenous folk, were intentionally made to resemble a sauropod.  Hey, it's good for tourism!

--
John M. Dollan
Graduate Assistant-Residence Life

"Exploration is an obsession.  The more I discover, the more I want to know.  Unfortunately I will not be able to discover everything I want."
 --Meave Leakey

"Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember, amateurs built the Ark.  Professionals built the Titanic."
 --Unknown