(Fwd) Re: Deinonychus and Albertosaurus packs

From:          MKIRKALDY@aol.com
Date:          Mon, 31 May 1999 05:52:19 EDT
Subject:       Re: Deinonychus and Albertosaurus packs
To:            B.Dol@skn.sc.philips.com

You sent your comments only to me, so perhaps you would want
to resend it to the dinosaur list at dinosaur@usc.edu

Thanks; forgot to do that as I have one of those
busy-and-forget-everything-days at work. And it's Monday too...
Here it goes and I hope someone on this list has answers or more
information.

>  > >  2. Albertosaur pack
>  > >  At his 5-24-99 lecture in Seattle, Phil Currie mentioned a pack of
>  > >  Albertosaurus found by Barnum Brown back in 1910 and forgotten
>  > >  in the American Museum collection. There were nine individuals
>  > >  collected together at the same site, about half being half-grown
>  > >  juveniles with hindlimb and body proportions similar to ornithomimids.
>  > >  Phil suggested these tyrannosaurids could have functioned as a pack,
>  > >  and if I understand his proposed scenario correctly, the
>  > >  the agile and fleet-footed juveniles would have chased and harassed
>  > >  --but not directly attacked--the prey (say, a herd of duckbills or
>  > > ceratopsians), eventually distracting or separating out individuals
that

>  > >  would stray into ambush range of the larger, more powerful adults,
>  > >  who would make the kill.
>
>  I would like to ask a question which is maybe unnecessary because I
>  don't have all the information. Were there any remains found of other
>  dinosaurs? Any parts of prey? Because I can imagine a lot of
>  scenario's where individuals can get confined together without
>  actually being a pack. Maybe I should give a few of my scenario's to
>  make my question somewhat clear:
>  1. If there where remains of prey in that site I can imagine a couple
>  of individuals of the same species, which are normally not closely
>  associated as a pack, feeding on the carrion tolerating each other
>  presence because there is enough of the prey to go around. This
>  behaviour is also observed in normally very territorial animals like
>  birds of prey.
>  2. If prey was not present then maybe the individuals were forced
>  together for other reasons: shelter for a great fire (sometimes one
>  can observe normally solitairy animals closely together when things
>  get very dangerous, i.e. with large flood, earthquakes, fires etc).
>
>  I do not ask this question because I doubt dinosaurs hunted in packs.
>  I actually think they did. But I think that a site which contains
>  nine skeletons of the same species is not all it takes to be able to
>  conclude they hunted in packs.

"Secrets must be exposed when found.
Detours must be taken when encountered.
And if you are at the place of concealment or standing at the crossroads,
you must never leave it to another to act in your place."
Qui-Gon Jinn; Jedi Master