Oops

Oops, I left two phrases out.  What I SHOULD have written was:

Martin Barnett wrote:
snipped

> James Cunningham wrote:

Sam, I don't follow this.  Ground effect acts to reduce the losses to the vortex
shed at the wingtips, by reducing spanwise circulation, so it affects the body
and wings similarly.  For a given airspeed, the amount OF INDUCED DRAG is
quantified by the aspect ratio and lift being produced, AND GROUND EFFECT ACTS
TO REDUCE THE INDUCED DRAG AS A FUNCTION OF THE SPAN/HAG RATIO.  Why should
ground effect pitch the body forward and down? -- I've never noticed that when
making a low level pass in an airplane.  What you do notice if you don't reduce
power is that, since you are going faster, you have to lower the AOA to limit
your lift to the sum of the weight of the aircraft plus the tail download, so
you deliberately lower the nose.  It has no tendency to want to do so of its own
initiative.

Cheers,

Jim